It is optimal to measure your metabolic rate at a true resting level. To ensure your metabolism is at rest and ensure valid results, please prepare as follows:
VO₂ Pretest Requirements
- Complete a phone or in-person interview with us to ensure you are ready to be tested and understand the process and requirements.
- Dress in comfortable exercise attire.
- Refrain from exercise or endurance training for 24-hours prior to test.
- Avoid food, tobacco, alcohol, and caffeine for at least 3 hours before testing. You may drink water only.
- Review critical medications and take as usual but review with test administrator when signing up for the test and no less than 24 hours prior. Some medications will alter test results and need to be review prior. Do not take vitamins until after the test.
- Complete the Exercise Readiness Questionnaire (ERQ) or Participate Activity Readiness Questionnaire (PARQ) and meet the standards for testing. (Can be done onsite, day of testing). If you are taking the V02 Max Exercise Test, you will be exercising up to a full run. Recent medical history and releases are necessary since there is risk associated with any exercise test.
WHAT TO BRING AND WEAR
- Bring water, hand towel and a snack to eat after the test.
- Wear clothes you normally exercise in including sneakers
- Wear sports socks, sneakers, exercise clothing and under-garments normally worn by you for moderate to intense exercise.
- Ladies with long hair – something to tie back hair
- Please do not wear jewelry or earrings.
- Note: You need to be in good physical condition and health prior to and during the test.
Resting Metabolic Test Procedure: During the test, you will be invited to recline in a comfortable position. You will be given a mouth-piece to breathe into. You will be breathing in air from the room. The gas that you breathe out will go into the metabolic analysis machine to measure your resting metabolic rate.
You will be asked to:
- Relax and close your eyes.
- Keep your lips sealed tightly around the mouthpiece and a clamp will be placed on your nose. It is important that the air you breathe out is analyzed.
- Within 12-16 minutes, your metabolic rate will be measured.
After the Resting Test:
- Those results will be used to calculate the following:
- WHAT YOU BURN: Number of calories burned at rest, during daily activity and during exercise
- HOW MUCH TO EAT: Target Caloric Zones for weight loss, medically supervised weight loss and maintenance
- METABOLISM: Comparison of your metabolism with similar age, weight, etc. Indicates if you metabolism is fast, normal or slow and corresponding numbers.
- SUBSTRATE ANALYSIS: C02 data will provide valuable information on how your body utilizes proteins, fats and carbohydrates!!
- The recommended date for testing again will be reviewed (after 10-20 pounds of weight loss, after significant event, before during or after training regiments for specific performance or endurance events, etc.
- These Zones will be printed out in an easy to understand format that will outline how to use your metabolism for fitness and weight loss
- Interpretation of the results and what to do about them will be discussed
The V02 Exercise Test Procedure:
During the exercise test, intensity will increase over several minutes until the anaerobic threshold is reached along with a couple minutes of recovery. The following will occur:
- We will place a mask and heart rate strap on you. The mask is connected to the CardioCoach™ via the VO₂ hose.
- You will exercise on a treadmill, gradually increasing your intensity over a period of 6-10 minutes or so until the CardioCoach™ indicates that the anaerobic threshold has been detected. At this point or shortly thereafter, you will stop exercising and begin a cool down phase.
- The CardioCoach™ compiles the data, analyzes the results and will print a fitness profile in a simple, insightful report where exercise zones are identified.
After the Exercise Test:
- CALORIES BURNED at varying heart rates
- TARGET EXERCISE ZONES fat burning, endurance and cardio
- THRESHOLDS Your aerobic & anaerobic thresholds & how to apply them to workouts
- RECOVERY HEART RATE
- CARDIO STRENGTH
- FITNESS LEVEL
- TARGET HEART RATES: You will know your target heart rates to meet your goals of weight loss, improved cardio fitness and/or improved endurance or peak performance. These Intensity Zones will be printed out in an easy to understand format that will outline how to use your metabolism for fitness and weight loss
- YOUR CUSTOMIZED WORKOUT PROGRAM: We will discuss the optimal workout program utilizing your unique test results! Instead of wasting your workouts, you will begin MAXimizing your workouts!!!
- BONUS: C02 data will provide valuable information on how your body utilizes proteins, fats and carbohydrates!!
The recommended date for testing again will be reviewed (after 10-20 pounds of weight loss, after significant event, before during or after training regiments for specific performance or endurance events, etc.)
DIRECTIONS: MaxMyFit Studio is located at 260 E. 5th, Loft 106, Austin TX 78701. It is in Brazos Lofts on 5th Street between Brazos and San Jacinto Streets.
PARKING: Street metered, street level parking lots and parking garages. One block from MetroRail Station.
We will call you to review the pre-test information prior to the test since the tests can be invalid if the pre-test is not followed. After we talk, please call us at (512) 773-0188 if there are any questions prior to the tests.
That’s it!! Before you know it, you will be on the road to efficient weight loss and/or peak performance and fitness!!
Why take the VO₂ Max Exercise Test?
Even though extensive training can sometimes cause an athlete to reach a plateau in VO₂ Max, you can still use VO₂ Max test results to make further improvements in performance. This is accomplished as you perform out specialized interval training to elevate the anaerobic threshold (AT) to go further, faster and longer before reaching oxygen debt, soreness, injury and/or fatigue. This enhances both endurance and cardiovascular performance.
Anaerobic Threshold (AT)
Even though extensive training can sometimes cause an athlete to reach a plateau in VO₂ Max, you can still use VO₂ Max test results to make further improvements in performance. This is accomplished as you perform out specialized inteval training to elevate the anaerobic threshold (AT) to go further, faster and longer before reaching oxygen debt, soreness, injury and/or fatigue. This enhances both endurance and cardiovascular performance.
A VO₂ Max test determines the number of calories burned during every level of exercise. Additionally, CardioCoach PLUS and CardioCoachCO₂ measure a Resting Metabolic Rate. This is a scientific measurement of how many calories a person is burning during a day, a vital piece of information when designing a weight loss regimen.